Frequently Asked Questions

  • Who owns the sewer line from my property line to the street?

    You own the sewer line from your property to the street.

  • Will the West Valley Sanitation District correct my sewer backup problem?

    We occasionally receive calls from customers who have had a sewer backup problem. Note that the District is only responsible for problems in the public right-of-way; that is, the lateral sewer from the property line cleanout to the main sewer line, usually located in the street. Property owners are responsible for the portion of the building lateral sewer line that is on private property from their residence to the property line cleanout.

  • What is the principal cause of sewer backups?

    Sewer backups are usually due to tree roots that grow into and clog the lines as they seek the water inside the pipe.

  • Are there steps a property owner can take to help avoid sewer backup problems?

    There are simple measures you can take to maintain your sewer line in optimum condition, among them:

    1. Don't pour grease down your drains, click here.

    2. Call us first regarding overflows, backups or for any sewer related question or issue. We are more than happy to come out and check the sewer lines in the public right-of-way, and make sure the problem is not coming from our sewer pipes. You will be responsible for any problem that is within your property line. We recommend calling a reputable plumber to help clear any clogged indoor lines or your portion of the lateral sewer within your property.
    3. Make sure that only human waste and toilet paper are flushed down your toilets.

    4. Identify where the cleanouts (access points) to your sewer line are and keep them readily accessible in case a plumber needs to access them. Typically, they are located in close proximity to the house in a garden area, in the driveway, or in the garage.

    5. If you have chronic root problems, one solution is to consider is the removal of trees or plants that may be the culprits.

  • What are the procedures for connecting to the sewer system?

    The District Board of Directors established procedures for connecting to the sewer system, created a variety of permits to cover various circumstances, developed sewer-financing programs and imposed requirements for contractors working within the District.

  • What are the procedures for obtaining sewer service?

    Contact the District Office by phone or in person during regular business hours, 7:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Our office is located at 100 East Sunnyoaks Avenue in Campbell. The phone number is (408) 378-2407.

  • What fees does the District charge?

    The District Board of Directors established charges and fees for sewer service. The rate structure is based on the cost of providing sewer service to a residence. Non-residential rates reflect the typical amount and strength of wastewater. The District also has some special fees for unusual circumstances. The fees are calculated on the actual cost of service and reflect a fairness principle that the users pay for the impact that they cause on the sewer system.

  • What is a sewer cleanout?

    A cleanout is a riser pipe that is placed into a sewer line that provides an opening at ground level. The cleanout is installed at the edge of the easement or property line. Maintenance of the building sewer from the home to the property line cleanout is the owner's responsibility, and from the property line cleanout to the main line (public portion of the lateral) is the District's responsibility.

  • What is a sewer backflow protection device and why do I need it?

    A backflow protection device reduces the risk of the sewage that is backing up in the mainline from working its way up your building sewer, and overflowing into your residence or business. Not all of the residential and commercial properties that are connected to the public sewer system within the West Valley Sanitation District require backflow protection devices. However, a number of properties do need to have these installed to prevent possible sewage overflows into buildings in the event of stoppages in the mainline sewers.

  • What is the responsibility of property owners for the maintenance of sewer lines on private property and the line that connects the property to the District's sewer system?

    The owner of the property is responsible for keeping the building sewer clear between the building and the property line cleanout if there is one. If there is no cleanout or the location is unknown, the owner is responsible for clearing the building service line to the sewer main. Locating the building sewer and its connection to the service sewer is also the owner's responsibility, although we will attempt to assist with available records and information. We suggest the owner employ a plumber to clear any stoppages in the building sewer.

  • Where can I get more information about sewer charges that appear on my property tax bill?

    Here is a simple explanation of your sewer bill: The total sewer service charge appears on the property tax roll under code "WV Sewer Sani/Storm." All fees and charges, including sewer service, hillside surchage, storm drain fee, or other financed payments (if any), are included as a lump sum in the WV Sewer Sani/Storm designation and are not itemized. District staff can provide a breakdown upon request.

    For an explanation about your sewer service charges, please contact the District Office by phone or in person during regular business hours, 7:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Our office is located at 100 East Sunnyoaks Avenue in Campbell. The phone number is (408) 378-2407 extension 108.

  • How do I request public records from West Valley Sanitation District

    West Valley Sanitation District's Board of Directors adopted Policy # 900.1005 on November 12, 2014 regarding public records requests. The purpose of this policy is to affirm the public's right to access District records and to establish District guidelines concerning accessibility of District records. Below you will find links to policy #900.1005 and the District's public records request form.

    • West Valley Sanitation District's Board of Directors policy regarding public records request
    • West Valley Sanitation District's public records request form