Doing work on your property & need a permit

You may need a District permit

The District wants to ensure access to your building lower sewer lateral meets standards in order for District Operations staff to perform maintenance activities. We also want to ensure your property is protected from backups in the District sanitary sewer system, any disconnection and/or connection to the District sanitary sewer system is properly being made, and you have the appropriate capacity buy-in to transport and treat your wastewater.



Visit building department

Visit your local jurisdiction building department first to apply for a building permit.


Describe your work and District reviews your work

Describe your proposed work and submit any and all plan sets showing your proposed work using the form below and a determination of a permit will be made.

If no District permit is required, then a "No District Permit Required" letter will be emailed to you typically the next business day (after receiving all required scope of work information) to deliver to the agency building permit staff.

Permit Residential Application Form


  1. 1. Work
  2. 2. Property Information
  3. 3. Permit Applicant Contact Information
  4. 4. File(s) Submission
  • Work

    1. (Apply for a building permit if you do not have one.)

    2. Type of Lateral | Cleanout Work*

      (Select all items that apply.)

    3. Type of Building Work*

      (Select all items that apply.)

    4. New Building Work Type:*

      (Select all items that apply.)

    5. (Please specify what "Other" lateral / cleanout work you are performing.)


    District determines your requirements

    If the District determines a District permit is required, your work will be analyzed and a field investigation may need to be performed to outline your District requirements. Typically, three business days (after receiving all required scope of work information) are needed to issue a District permit. For accessory dwelling units (ADU) up to ten business days may be required for issuance of a District permit.


    Pay fees and issue permit

    When you are informed a permit is ready for you, make a counter appointment with this form. Pay by check or cash (based on our fees and charges schedule (PDF) and examples below) and give your issued District permit copy to your agency building permit staff.


    Ensure your District requirements are met

    Install all required infrastructure per your District issued permit handouts. Required property line cleanout shall meet the District standards. Be sure to have underground utilities, such as gas lines and potable water pipes, located before you dig by contacting USA 811 North and follow their five easy steps (PNG).

    Example Fees

    Building plumbing work may require a property line cleanout to be replaced or a new property line cleanout to be installed, and/or may require a device for wastewater backflow protection, or no District permit may be required.

    A $425 fee will need to be paid when a property line cleanout is required to recover the cost of investigating your field conditions and ensuring your construction meets District requirements. Otherwise, a $250 processing fee will need to be paid when a District permit is required to recover the cost of reviewing your scope of work and your site District records.

    When a new building lower sewer lateral needs to be constructed in the right-of-way, an $800 fee will need to be paid to recover the cost of ensuring your construction meets District requirements.

    The District will also ensure your property buildings have the correct amount of buy-in capacity reserved for their wastewater discharge that must be accommodated in the District's piping transport system and for processing at the San José-Santa Clara Regional Wastewater Facility. See the "New House" tab and the "ADU" tab for more information.